Thursday, September 19, 2013

Voice's thoughts on Warhawk Football while looking out his window


The following are some of my thoughts heading into Saturday’s Warhawk game at Buffalo State.

- Last year’s shocking 7-6 loss to Buffalo State resulted in a number of UWW football fans to at least temporarily jump off the Warhawk bandwagon.

- I remember back in 2008, following Whitewater’s loss to UW-Stevens Point in the closing seconds, some fans were sure the Warhawks yearly championship run was over. If I remember correctly, the Hawks made it back to the Stagg Bowl that year and came within five points of beating heavily favored Mount Union.

- I probably watch more UWW practices than anyone outside the program. I see Whitewater’s young offense going up against an experienced, highly ranked defense each day on the practice field. I see that offense having more success – I believe that success will carry over to game days.

- One thing that has always intrigued me about college football is for virtually unknown players to step-up big time when the opportunity arises. Case in point was Dennis Moore getting his first extended action since arriving on campus prior to last season. Moore got into the game early in the 4th quarter vs. Wash U. He sparked the Warhawks to a 17-10 come from behind win.

- I won’t be in Buffalo, NY for the game this weekend – Doctor’s orders. He believes that it’s best not to over-tax my body as I continue to recover from last summer’s cancer surgery. I agree!

- I don’t think the average fan realize the positives of playing one of your non-conference games via a long, overnight road trip.

- I remember trips to such places as Baldwin Wallace (OH), Lambuth (TN), Dickinson (ND), Trine (IN), Puget Sound (WA), Warrensburg (MO), Mount Union (OH). In each case, coaches talk about how the long trips help young teams mesh into a better team.

- It will be interesting to see what strides this year’s Warhawk team has made over the past couple of weeks.

- Buffalo State has the total respect of the Warhawks following last year’s win at the Perk. They could be the fastest team we play in terms of pure team speed and at the same time, probably the biggest defensive line that we may play against all year,” Leipold said at his weekly media conference. ”A key for the Warhawks Saturday will be to keep Buff State quarterback Casey Kacz somewhat in check.“His ability to throw the ball, his ability to run [the] option, his ability to keep plays alive and make something happen is as good as any we have seen in postseason play in my time here. We understand what he is about and respect the heck out of him.”

- Hawks not viewing Saturday’s game with revenge as the primary focus. That said, I have a feeling that most players are carrying a rather large chip on the shoulder.

- I’ll have stories all weekend long here on the Warhawkfootball.com Newswire.

GO WARHAWKS

No comments:

Post a Comment