Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Warhawkfootball.com passes the 1 million :"hit" mark


It was a big day for Warhawkfootball.com on Tuesday. Just after 4:30 p.m. my Website passed the one million “hit” mark.

Former UW-Whitewater football coach Bob Berezowitz and I came up with the idea of the site following the Warhawk football team’s 2003’s regular season game at Mount Union. We had noticed that Ric Brienza Mount Union football fan Website was extremely popular with the Purple Raider fan base. It allowed fans the opportunity to click onto a football only Website 365 days a year.

It took me a little over a year to develop my “fan” Website.

Most of you know me as the predessor to Gary Douglas as the “radio voice” of UW-Whitewater football, along with men’s and women’s basketball and baseball on WFAW and later KOOL 106.5 Radio. But I have also been a journalist including being news director at WFAW and KOOL 106.5 along with a couple other stations during my 40 year media career.

There are several excellent Division 3 level fan Websites around the country. While some, like Linfield’s Catdome Alumni site, excel in both video and stories, I made the decision to “stay close to home” and focus exclusively on newspaper style stories and photos. I envisioned Warhawkfootball.com as a daily online “newspaper” devoted exclusively to Warhawk football and its fans.

I’ve been a longtime advocate for Division 3 athletics around the state to get better media exposure, primarily from the larger city newspapers. I’m happy to say the WIAC’s visability has greatly increased. Saturday’s WIAC first place showdown game between Platteville and Whitewater will be telecast live on Fox Sports Wisconsin and Fox Sports North and will be available to 4 1//2 million households in the upper Midwest.

Thank you to Pat Coleman's D3football.com Website that inspires me daily by letting me realize that there is a huge market out there of fans that have a passion for Division 3 football.

Having survived a moderate stroke and won my battle with colon cancer, all in the past seven years, my life has sort of spun out of control. Being able to see that “hit clicker” continue to rise on a daily basis allows me to understand that my “passion” has been worth it.

Thank you for your interest in Warhawk foorball!

No comments:

Post a Comment