Wednesday, July 3, 2013

I'm back following a physically and emotionally draining year while battling cancer

It has been a physical and emotional past 13 months for me.

I was diagnosed to have Stage 3 colon cancer on May 28, 2012 and my surgery was conducted four days later at the Fort Atkinson Hospital. I was told that the survival rate for colon cancer was 70%. I knew that I was in for the "battle" of my life. I focused on staying positive and taking the battle "a day at a time."

Even though I'm nearly two months into knowing that the seven months of chemotherapy and radiation following my cancer surgery I'm still struggling both mentally and emotionally in the wake winning (at least for now) my battle with colon cancer.

I've spent the afternoon reviewing the many stories I wrote over the past year while waging my battle.

The following excerpts of stories I published reflect the ups and downs that I've experienced over the past year,

I’ve spent quite a bit of time reading up on the process. It is a bit scary but now is not the time to be a wimp! Among the emails I’ve received over the past 24 hours is one from Bruce Schroeder (UWW Class of 1972). A portion of the message reads: Just remember, everybody used to think Mount Union was unbeatable, just like this cancer. Well, it is beatable and you can do it! Bruce’s thoughts on beating this disease are great motivation for me to "win the fight.' As the Hawks prepare for a run at another championship season, I look to begin my own winning streak "one day at a time!!"

__________________________________________________________

While I maintain that “day at a time” attitude in fighting this terrible disease, the emotional and physical “ups and downs” can be extremely taxing.

__________________________________________________________

It has been a nervous past 10 days in my current battle with cancer. My follow-up C-Scan was performed last week following my initial radiation and chemo-therapy treatments. The new chemo is much stronger as it will attack any cancer cells that may have made it into my lymph nodes.

I was lucky and didn’t have serious side effects from my initial chemo with the exception of getting fatigued. I don’t think I’m going to be as lucky this time around. I suffered severe dehydration for the first 48 hours of the new treatment that required five hours of fluids being injected into my body.

While I maintain that “day at a time” attitude in fighting this terrible disease, the emotional and

physical “ups and downs” can be extremely taxing. I’m quickly beginning to understand that dealing with the “ups and downs” emotionally when battling cancer are the most difficult.

_________________________________________________________

I sat around feeling sorry for myself – moping around. How was I going to snap out of my funk? How about a trip up to visit a couple of my grandkids – Javon and Jhanay? While Jhanay was working on a summer school project, Javon was working on his own project with the help of Grandma Sabrina. I arrived at the Smith household in Madison’s west side feeling down in the dumps – I left after being taught a lesson by my youngest grandchild. For Javon the most important thing going on was working on HIS arts & craft project sitting at his “little guy” table in front of the TV while watching cartoons. The little guy taught me a lesson. I drove home and promptly plunked my butt in the “lazy boy” and spent a couple hours watching cartoons. You know what? The little guy taught me how to relax and not worry so much.

__________________________________________________________

One thing I know in regards to my battle vs. cancer – being at Perkins Stadium watching football is incredibly relaxing and I look forward to being at the Perk watching the Warhawks beginning in just over a month when the team reports for training camp

__________________________________________________________

My mind is still spinning uncontrollably in the wake of Saturday’s Team Tom Cancer Fundraiser in conjunction with the Warhawk football game vs. UW-River Falls at Perkins Stadium. I’m told that over $13-thousand has been raised through the incredible effort of former UW-Whitewater football coach Bob Berezowitz, UW-Whitewater Athletic Director Paul Plinske and Assistant Athletic Director of Marketing and External Relations Leah Thyne, Tom Miller at the Janesville Gazette, Jeff Seisser and Josh Smith at the Daily Jefferson County Union along with Jim Vreizen, Shane Sparks, Gary Douglas, Arnie Peck and the staff of KOOL 106.5 Radio. I'm overwhelmed at the generosity and love shown Saturday. To the many that came up to me to personally express best wishes and good luck during my ongoing battle against cancer – THANK YOU! Your words are incredibly uplifting to both me and my family.

And to my wonderful daughter Kim and her family, thank you so much for being hand-in-hand with me at Saturday’s game. You gave me the strength to make it through an incredibly emotional day for me. To the fans of UW-Whitewater football, I will never be able to adequately express in words the love that I, along with my family, felt through the incredible generosity that you showed towards me at Saturday’s game.

The emotion of the day came crashing down on me during that end of the third quarter on field “ceremony.” As I looked up into the stands during the ceremony an incredible feeling of love and family overwhelmed my soul. It has reinforced my will to beat this terrible disease.

____________________________________________________________

Today marks the four month anniversary of my cancer surgery. As I look back at the past 120 days I recall unbelievable highs and lows emotionally as I attempt to fight this terrible disease “one day at a time.”

Case in point took place this past weekend. I rode over to Platteville to watch the Warhawks with Coach Berezowitz and other than football all I could talk about was the beautiful fall colors. Then later that evening a harvest moon was bright and beautiful on a cloudless Saturday evening. When I got home I posted on Facebook “It is amazing when one is battling cancer just seeing the harvest moon on a cloudless night or how beautiful the Fall colors are can be such an uplifting experience. I guess when you have cancer you relish what previously didn’t have a big impact on your life.

____________________________________________________

The one thing that I’ve learned throughout this process has been the wonderful people at the Dean Fort Atkinson Specialty Clinic, UW-Cancer Clinic in Johnson Creek along with the great folks at the Fort Health Care’s Radiology and Blood Lab departments. Also a huge thanks to Katie and the gang at Fort HealthCare Home Health who have kept me at ease during challenging situations while learning the process of taking care of things myself now that I’m home!

____________________________________________________

My Oncologist, Dr. Amet Sanyal, indicated to me in May that my latest Pet Scan shows my tumor is no longer visible. Dr. Sanyal makes it clear that I cannot be called “cancer free” at this point. That won’t happen for another five years. He does tell me that the current news is “the best possible at this stage.” I’m still in the process of getting my physical strength back but for the first time since my battle began I am greatly motivated to get back to writing about UW-Whitewater football. I have been very active the past couple of weeks publishing Warhawk football stories both here on Voiceseyeonfootall.blogspot.com and over on the Warhawkfootball.com Newswire.

I’m still trying to emotionally cope with the changes in my life over the past seven months. I wish I could adequately reflect the appreciation I have for the encouragement I’ve received from so many of you. Once again, its time for me to get back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment