Saturday, August 21, 2010

Warhawks get work needed at Saturday's scrimmage


What are some of the things that I noticed from the Warhawks at Saturday afternoon's full-contact scrimmage vs. Harper College (Ill)?

1. The Warhawk defense was solid throughout the two hour scrimmage. I didn't chart the 200 play scrimmage but I was told that Brian Borland's defense allowed just one first down. I hope I'm right on that figure. The Hawks linebackers are really good and not just the first unit.

2. The secondary may not have the game experience with cornerback Matt McCulloch the lone returning starter. I was sitting with former UWW coaches Bob Berezowitz and Bruce Bukowski. They talked about a bunch of really good athletes competing for roster spots this season.

The Hawks opened training camp with 20 defensive backs. I learned on Saturday that a defensive back from Milwaukee is in the process of transfering from the Big 10's Indiana University to Whitewater. I'll have more informatio for you on Monday.

3. As always, Borland and defensive line coach Kevin Bullis want to have an up to eight-man rotation on the D-Line. Bullis told me after the game that his D-Line did "some vary nice things" but the video will tell the story.

4. As I wrote over on Warhawkfootball.com the offensive line looks like it is primed to pound the rock for yet another season.

5. What can you say about the Warhawks stable of running backs? I have put up a Warhawkfootball.com News Wire story that includes quotes from Booker Stanley. He has a great attitude on just where he is in this season's running back rotation.

6. Matt Blanchard may not have aced his first test with live bullets flying. Steve Dinkle told me after the game that Blanchard had a very solid scrimmage. Cory Knapp was next on the depth chart and I was impressed with the sophomore, especially during the second half of the scrimmage.

7. A couple of days ago Zach Fry, a Milton native and transfer from Minnesota-Morehead, told coaches that he is ending his battle for a roster spot at quarterback. Despite dropping his spot on the roster, Fry told coaches the he loves the UW-Whitewater football program and isn't ruling out helping out in some way this season.

8. The Hawks have great depth at both fullback and tight end. It will be interesting who the roster spots shake out at both positions.

9. Despite losing Jordan Wells to graduation the wide receiving corps has plenty of quality players to fill out the wide recieving roster sports. I really like Zach Howard who played solid as a freshman last year. He reminds me of Neil Mrkvicka.

10. I waited till the end of pactice for what I thought was going to be a place kicking segment. It didn't happen. ne extra point was missed due to a botched snap/hold. The group is facing the final week of Training Camp and I have a feeling the choice of who will replace NCAA record holder Jeff Schebler until the end of the week.

Check back tomorrow for more thoughts on Saturday's scrimmage. The Hawks will hold its annual end of taining camp scrimmage on Friday. Following the scrimmage the coaching staff will have the tough duty of paring the roster to the WIAC-mandated 100 player limit.

No comments:

Post a Comment