Monday, July 16, 2012

Javon's 5th birthday party gives Grandpa Tom a very good day

Editor’s Note: Warhawkfootball.com publisher, Tom Pattison, was diagnosed with colorectal cancer on May 28th. Surgery took place a couple days later at Fort Atkinson Memorial Hospital. A portion of the tumor remains. Five to six weeks of five days a week radiation and chemo therapy sessions have now started. The following is the latest in a series of stories detailing "Voice's" battle with cancer)

As I blogged last week, battling cancer includes good days and bad days. Today (Monday) was a very good day for me.

By far, the highlight of the day was driving up to Madison to attend my youngest grandson, Javon Smith’s 5th birthday party at Vitense Golf Center at the intersection of the Beltline and Whitney Way.

Boy, do kids that age have energy. I got tired just watching them! BTW, Vitense has the best cheese pizza in Madison!!

Today I received my first radiation treatment at the UW-Cancer Clinic in Johnson Creek. For the next six weeks I’ll be driving each day, Monday through Friday to receive my dose of radiation.

The treatments will eventually cause me some fatigue but not for another ten days or so.

Tuesday morning I will be at the Dean Care Specialty Clinic in Fort Atkinson to have my chemo pump installed to allow me to start six weeks of chemotherapy. I previously had a “port” implanted into my chest. This process will enable me to keep going with your day to day routine. The pump that is placed in a fanny pack will allow for my chemo to run into my blood stream on a preset basis. By noon on Tuesday I will be underway with six weeks of daily, combined chemo and radiation treatments which hopefully will destroy the cancer cells in my body.

The week kicked off on Sunday when I received an email from one of the Warhawk football player’s father who indicated that he was diagnosed with colorectal cancer three years ago.

“Good luck in your fight against this disease! Try to stay as positive as you can. People that have cancer and have gone through it, is a brother and sister fraternity. Because nobody knows what is like unless you have gone through it!”

That is just one of many emails that I’ve received since I had my surgery back on June 3. I can’t even come close to conveying to you how I appreciate my readers thoughts and good wishes as I fight cancer!

May Tuesday be as good a day as today (Monday) was.

No comments:

Post a Comment