Monday, July 9, 2012

Important: Be aware of the warning signs of cancer

(Editor’s Note: Warhawkfootball.com publisher Tom Pattison was diagnosed with colorectal cancer on May 28th. Surgery took place a couple days later at Fort Atkinson Memorial Hospital. A portion of the tumor remains. Five to six weeks of five days a week radiation and chemo therapy sessions is set to begin in the next few days at the UW Cancer Clinic in Johnson Creek. The following is the second in a series of stories detailing "Voice's" battle with cancer)

It was weird when people kept telling me that “I was looking good” with the weight I was losing. The acknowledgement felt good at first – but by Easter I was really beginning to worry that I had something seriously wrong physically.

If I can get just one piece of advice to my readers in connection was my diagnosis of having colorectal cancer it is failing to pay attention to cancer warning signs I experienced since last Thanksgiving.

The most obvious warning sign that occurred was my loss of over 60 pounds over the past seven-plus months. I weighed 228 pounds on November 23rd. My weight bottomed out at 171 pounds at the time of my surgery last month.

I also was suffering from constant fatigue, unexplained anemia and a definite change in bowel habits. That’s four of the classic signs of colorectal cancer.

My doctor first attributed my “problem” due to anemia and chronic dehydration following a series of blood tests. An infection in my bowels was also found.

It is kind of funny that human nature often leads one to think positive and shy away from thinking negative in regards to one’s physical condition.

Had I done a little research early on I would have been aware of colorectal cancer warning signs and may not be in the situation I’m currently in.

Here are the 10 warning signs:

1. Weight loss with no known explanation.

2. Constant tiredness or fatigue.

3. Unexplained anemia (low number of red blood cells).

4. A change in bowel habits — constipation or diarrhea that lasts more than a couple of weeks.

5. Weight loss with no known explanation.

6. Constant tiredness or fatigue.

7. Unexplained anemia (low number of red blood cells).

8. A feeling that the bowel does not empty completely.

9: Bright red or very dark blood in the stool, black stools that may indicate hidden blood.

10: Abdominal discomfort such as frequent gas pains, bloating, fullness, or cramps.

Please don’t be a hero – If your not feeling well contact your doctor and express your concerns – It could well be a life-saving measure!

No comments:

Post a Comment