Thursday, July 5, 2012

Voice Pattison facing battle vs. colorectal cancer

Editor’s Note: Warhawkfootball.com publisher Tom Pattison was diagnosed with colorectal cancer on May 28th. Surgery took place a couple days later at Fort Atkinson Memorial Hospital. A portion of the tumor remains. Five to six weeks of five days a week radiation and chemo therapy sessions is set to begin in the next few days at the UW Cancer Clinic in Johnson Creek.

It will be the latest battle with severe physical problems for Pattison in the past five years. "Voice" suffered a serious stroke in October of 2006. Now he faces a very difficult battle with cancer.

Over the net few weeks “Voice” will author stories on his progress and to hopefully help readers (if even one) to know the warning signs of colorectal cancer and the importance of taking those concerns to one’s doctor.

I’m in for the biggest fight of my life after being diagnosed with colorectal cancer in late May. The first signs of a physical problem first surfaced just prior to last December’s Stagg Bowl.

I’ve lost over 60 pounds since Thanksgiving and weighed 172 pounds at the time of my surgery.

Ask those close to me and they’ll tell you that it was a very frustrating time while doctors tried to come up with an answer to my massive weight loss and loss of energy. None of the blood tests taken indicate “markers” pointing to cancer. In late May I was referred to a surgeon who immediately ordered a colonoscopy which resulted in surgery.

Doctors tell me that I face a big fight in my battle with cancer. I have stage2=plus colorectal cancer that includes a mortality rate of 65 to 70 percent.

I’m ready for the battle!

Yesterday is over my shoulder, so I can't look back for too long. There's just too much to see waiting in front of me and I know that I just can't go wrong – Changes in Attitudes-Changes in Latitudes. 1977 by Jimmy Buffett

No comments:

Post a Comment