Thursday, July 5, 2012

Voice update: Radiation and chemotherapy will begin on Monday

(Editor’s Note: Warhawkfootball.com publisher Tom Pattison was diagnosed with colorectal cancer on May 28th. Surgery took place a couple days later at Fort Atkinson Memorial Hospital. A portion of the tumor remains. Five to six weeks of five days a week radiation and chemotherapy sessions will begin on Monday 7/9) at the UW Cancer Clinic in Johnson Creek. The following is the third in a series of stories detailing "Voice's" battle with cancer)

My “training camp” is wrapping up and the battle with colorectal cancer will begin on Monday at the UW-Cancer Clinic in Johnson Creek when my first radiation treatment will take place at “high-noon.”

I spent Tuesday (7/3) at Fort Atkinson Memorial Hospital having a procedure (minor surgery) performed getting a Groshong CD catheter embedded into the upper left portion of my chest.

Instead of having six weeks of singular, daily chemo treatments, the Groshong will allow for a continuous “chemo drip.” From all I’m being told this process IS the way to go.

(In the adjacent photo taken by my daughter Kim, I'm in good spirits just prior to being wheeled into the Fort Atkinson Memorial Hospital surgical suite to have a Groshong CD catheter embedded into the upper left portion of my chest to assist in my pending chemotherapy treatment.)

I’ve spent quite a bit of time reading up on the process. It is a bit scary but now is not the time to be a wimp!

Again I would like to thank the many of you that have conveyed thoughts via email messages, Facebook, etc.

Among the emails I’ve received over the past 24 hours is one from Bruce Schroeder (UWW Class of 1972). A portion of the message reads: Just remember, everybody used to think Mount Union was unbeatable, just like this cancer. Well, it is beatable and you can do it!

Bruce’s thoughts on beating this disease are great motivation for me to "win the fight.' As the Hawks prepare for a run at another championship season, I look to begin my own winning streak "one day at a time!!"

Once again, a sincere thank you to all of you that are assisting in my battle against cancer. I cannot properly convey the positive, emotional energy your thoughts have given me!

No comments:

Post a Comment