Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Cancer patients face incredible highs and lows emotionally

(Editor’s Note: Warhawkfootball.com publisher, Tom Pattison, was diagnosed with colorectal cancer on May 28th. Surgery took place a couple days later at Fort Atkinson Memorial Hospital. A portion of the tumor remains. Five to six weeks of five days a week radiation and chemo therapy sessions has been delayed several days prior to being conducted at the UW Cancer Clinic in Johnson Creek. The following is the latest in a series of stories detailing "Voice's" battle with cancer)

One of the aspects of battling cancer that I wasn’t totally prepared for is the incredible swings in mood.

Tuesday (7/10) was my worst day since first learning I had colorectal cancer. The day began with me having to call Fort Home Health Care to have a nurse come to my residence in Whitewater after I had a serious problem overnight with my ostomy device. Later in the evening an even more serious problem occurred with the device and again a nurse needed to drive to Whitewater – a second time for the day.

Fort Home Health Care Services are needed due to the residual impact my 2006 stroke created on my right side. I’m still not totally comfortable being required to use an ostomy appliance. Not being able to change the devise makes me very sad and upset.

The other part of my cancer plight is my need to go on SSI Disability. The application was placed the first week of June with a request by Jefferson County to expedite the process. One of the requirements for SSI Disability is that you have no more than $1000 to your name. I met that limit but it was two sequences of paying all my household bills. Talk about financial pressure! Sure hope my disability will be approved SOON.

I really “hit the wall” hard emotionally. A good portion of the day I was ready to give up. My daughter Kim and ex-wife Sabrina have been huge over the last month in keeping focused on beating cancer. Had it not been for Kim and Sabrina on Tuesday I don’t know if I would have been able to climb the mountain out of a bad case of depression.

Maybe I was so low emotionally on Tuesday but on Wednesday I was upbeat all day. A-matter-of-fact Wednesday was my most upbeat day since learning I had cancer.

I stayed upbeat even after my oncologist told me that he spotted something in my left lung. Dr. Sanyal says it is either an infection or possibly another tumor. Back to the Fort Atkinson Hospital on Friday for more blood work and another chest x-ray. At this point “it is what it is” I guess.

Wednesday ended at Perkins Stadium where I watched the 2012 WFCA South All-Star teams scrimmage in advance of Saturday’s Wisconsin Football Coaches Association All-Star Charity Football Game vs. the North All-Stars at Titan Stadium in Oshkosh. The two games again will benefit Children's Hospital of Wisconsin.

One thing I know in regards to my battle vs. cancer – being at Perkins Stadium watching football is incredibly relaxing and I look forward to being at the Perk watching the Warhawks beginning in just over a month when the team reports for training camp.

It looks like my chemotherapy and radiation will start on Monday. I’m ready for the fight!

No comments:

Post a Comment