Saturday, July 7, 2012

Youngest grandchild teaches Voice a valuable lesson

(In the photo above my youngest grandkid, Javon, makes sure Grandpa Tom gets the message to relax and stop worrying so much – photo courtesy of his mom – Kim Smith)

(Editor’s Note: Warhawkfootball.com publisher, Tom Pattison, was diagnosed with colorectal cancer on May 28th. Surgery took place a couple days later at Fort Atkinson Memorial Hospital. A portion of the tumor remains. Five to six weeks of five days a week radiation and chemo therapy sessions has been delayed several days prior to being conducted at the UW Cancer Clinic in Johnson Creek. The following is the latest in a series of stories detailing "Voice's" battle with cancer)

I’m quickly beginning to understand that dealing with the “ups and downs” emotionally when battling cancer are the most difficult.

As I was gearing up for the start of my radiation and chemo treatments this coming Monday I found out that the treatments would be delayed five days after my latest CT scan indicated an infection in my right lung.

I sat around feeling sorry for myself – moping around. How was I going to snap out of my funk? How about a trip up to visit a couple of my grandkids – Javon and Jhanay?

While Jhanay was working on a summer school project, Javon was working on his own project with the help of Grandma Sabrina.

I arrived at the Smith household in Madison’s west side feeling down in the dumps – I left after being taught a lesson by my youngest grandchild.

For Javon the most important thing going on was working on HIS arts & craft project sitting at his “little guy” table in front of the TV while watching cartoons. The little guy taught me a lesson. I drove home and promptly plunked my butt in the “lazy boy” and spent a couple hours watching cartoons.

You know what? The little guy taught me how to relax and not worry so much.

Thanks Javon!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment