Thursday, July 5, 2012

Pattison: Battling cancer the ultimate “must win” scenario

(Editor’s Note: Warhawkfootball.com publisher Tom Pattison was diagnosed with colorectal cancer on May 28th. Surgery took place a couple days later at Fort Atkinson Memorial Hospital. A portion of the tumor remains. Five to six weeks of five days a week radiation and chemo therapy sessions is set to begin in the next few days at the UW Cancer Clinic in Johnson Creek. The following is the second in a series of stories detailing "Voice's" battle with cancer)

I’ve been involved in athletics since I was eight years old. In light of learning that I now face a tough battle against colorectal cancer this summer I have thought a lot of approaching the battle as I would in any other athletic contest.

Self confidence has never been one of my strong suits. I remember my high school football coach at Durand - legendary Hall of Fame coach Pete Adler - once telling me that it is important not to fear losing – but to play your best when in competition.

I have been told by several people that faced a similar situation that mindset is so important when dealing with this horrible disease. I’ve been told that I must approach my fight with positive thoughts.

I am approaching my imprnding battle as an athletic contest. The object is to “win the game.”

I have been blessed with the opportunity to be very close to UW-Whitewater football for 24 years. I have watched UWW become the most dominate football team in the nation having won four NCAA Division III national titles in the past five years and currently on an incredible 45 game win streak.

I have watched closely as the Warhawks approach each game in the right frame of mind and being ready to play. It is the primary reason for achieving such success.

These current athletes are “prisoners of the moment” and I’m sure they don’t realize the life lessons they will be so important in their future years. Believe me those lessons learned WILL HAVE a huge impact as they go through life – trust me!

I apologize for the lack of posts over the past couple of months as doctors worked to determine what was ailing me. I now realize that being able to keep readers “in the loop” on the Warhawk front is very important to me.

My plans are to continue to keep Warhawk football fans up-to-date on my Warhawkfootball.com Website and on my Voices Eye on Football blog. It is truly a passion for me!

I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance, Never settle for the path of least resistance, Livin' might mean takin' chances, but they're worth takin', And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance, I hope you dance - by Lee Ann Womach - I Hope You Dance (2007)

I will begin six consecutive weeks of combined radiation and chemo-therapy five days a week later this month. A lot will be riding on the success of those treatments!

No comments:

Post a Comment